Frequently Asked Questions for Mexico Real Estate

General Questions

Yes, non-Mexicans may obtain direct ownership of property in Mexico. Mexican law states that properties within the 50 km of the ocean and 100 km of any border must be acquired via bank trust or establishment of a Mexican Corporation. Click here to read more.

Yes, it’s possible for foreigners to acquire through a bank trust or a Mexican Corporation.

Foreigners express worry about their land being taken by the Mexican government. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Mexico may not expropriate property, except for a public purpose. The same as “Eminent Domain” in the U.S.

The bank trust is a legal substitute for fee simple ownership, but in many cases, the trustee is the legal holder of the property. As beneficiary, you have the right to sell your property without restriction. You may also transfer your rights to a third party or pass it on to named heirs.

To acquire property, it is not necessary to possess a Temporary Resident Visa. In fact, anyone on a Tourist Visa in Mexico, can buy property. If you sign a contract, rent a house or condo, buy a house or condo, or lease property, you are no longer a “tourist” and should apply for a Temporary Resident Visa.

On arrival to Mexico you receive Tourist Visa allowing you to remain in Mexico for up to 180 days without working. If you are in your home country you can apply for a Temporary Resident Visa valid for a 12-month period and can be renewed for up to four years.

Visa obtained when you first enter into Mexico. It can be continually be renewed by simply leaving Mexico within the 180-day period, and then re-entering.

A document for anyone to live part time in Mexico. To get a Temporary Resident Visa, you must prove you are financially independent, or meet requirements to be able to work or own a business in Mexico. With a monthly income more than $1,000 USD plus another $500 USD for each dependent. If you own property in Mexico, the amount of income required is reduced by half roughly.

This document is for someone who intends to permanently reside in Mexico. After four years of successfully meeting the requirements of Temporary Resident Visa (including restricted time out of Mexico), one may apply for “Inmigrado” status, which allows you to enjoy most of the rights and privileges of a Mexican citizen, the primary exception being the right to vote.

Yes, you can sell anyone either Mexican or Non-Mexican. Non-Mexican would require to set up a bank trust as per usual. Click here for more information on selling your property.

Make Searching For Your Property Easier.

Get the best deals and that are an exactly what you are looking for.

Unfortunately many of the best deals go unlisted. Don't worry. We will send them to you for free.

Fill your details below.

Got a Question?

Have a question or need some help? Fill this form and we will answer you. No obligation.